As an IT powerhouse, Korea provides high-speed internet services to people at anytime, anywhere. Major Internet service providers are “KT olleh, SK broadband, and LG Uplus.” Application for service can be made by phone or at the service provider’s website. Internet service expenses include subscription fee, basic rate, and equipment (modem) rental fee. In general, contracts are entered into for a term of one, two, and three years, thus granting partial discount of the rates, but termination during the agreed-to term can result in penalties.
※ Use of combined service—combining various telecom services (e.g., Internet, phone, mobile telecom) and selling them—can give the benefit of discount rates.
Internet cafes can be easily found in Korea. The name of the internet cafes mostly include words including 'cyber', 'net' or 'Internet plaza'. A nearby internet cafe will come in very handy if you ever need to send e-mails, search the web, prepare or print documents. The service fee is relatively inexpensive ranging from 1,000 to 1,500 won per hour, and may be further discounted at nighttime hours or to regular members.
Landline telephone service providers include KT( 114), SK Broadband ( 106), and LG Uplus ( 101).
For subscription, a foreigner needs a copy of his or her passport and alien registration card.
In Korea, the use of mobile phone is so widespread that most people have mobile phones. Korea’s major mobile telecom service providers are SKT, KT and LGT and they have various pricing structures and benefits where one can choose his/her rates according to his/her traffic and data usage.
|Prepaid mobile phone||
※ For a foreigner to subscribe to a mobile phone service:
- He or she must have his or her alien registration card or domicile registration card.
- Payment can only be made through bank account or credit card under the subscriber’s name.
- Mobile phone users could receive advertising calls or adult-advertisement messages.
- Making a call out of pure curiosity could result in damages such as unexpected, excessive charges; thus, it is advisable to disregard the aforesaid calls or messages unless they are absolutely necessary.
How to dial internationally : international call service code + country code + area code + telephone number.
※ (Ex) From Korea to China : international call service code (001)+country code (86)+area code (20)+ telephone number (1234-5678)
※ International call service code : KT (001), SK Telink (00700), LG Uplus (002), Sejong Telecom (00365)
|County||Country code||County||Country code||County||Country code||County||Country code|
Domestic mail is divided into general mail (express, regular) and parcel (express, regular).
Express mail is more expensive than regular mail, but is delivered on the date following the date on which the post office receives it. Regular mail is delivered within four days. One can send parcels at the post office or by having a post office personnel visit him/her and receive them (courier).
Base rates of post office courier (as of 2017)
Up to 2kg
(up to 60cm)
Up to 5kg
(up to 80cm)
Up to 10kg
(up to 120cm)
Up to 20kg
(up to 140cm)
Up to 30kg
(up to 160cm)
|Same area||KRW 4,000||KRW 5,000||KRW 6,500||KRW 8,000||KRW 9,500|
|Other areas||KRW 5,000||KRW 6,000||KRW 7,500||KRW 9,000||KRW 10,500|
|Jeju (next day delivery)||KRW 6,500||KRW 8,000||KRW 9,500||KRW 11,000||KRW 13,000|
|Jeju (D+2)||KRW 5,000||KRW 6,000||KRW 7,500||KRW 9,000||KRW 10,500|
- Post office courier service shall deliver parcels on the date following receipt thereof and, for Jeju (D+2), on the date following the aforesaid date. However, delivery time can differ from the above for designated areas such as islands.
- For parcel delivery rates, the higher between those based on weight and those on size shall apply. Size refers to the sum of width, length, and height.
- Weight shall not exceed 30 kg, and the maximum length of a side shall not exceed 100 cm.
It is divided into general mail, parcel, and international express (EMS, Express Mail Service).
In general, maximum weight is 20 kg for parcels and 30 kg for EMS, and the rates are decided depending on the destination country or the item’s type, specifications, and weight.
Courier service is widespread in Korea, and there are many courier companies. Courier, directly delivering items to the recipient, is a little more expensive than general mail but users can easily send items to anywhere in Korea.
※ Private courier service providers: Kyoung Dong Express (080-873-2178) / Logen Courier (1588-9988) / CJ GLS(1588-5353) / Lotte Global Logistics (1588-2121) / KG LOGIS (1588-8848)
※ Rates vary among courier service providers depending on the item’s weight and size. Thus, please check them out carefully when using courier service.
- Lena Kim Executive Consultant