• go rss

Date   :


Sort   :


  • Title
    What are the types of visa and how long is their validity?
  • Content
    Visa for foreigners conducting diplomacy, official duty and negotiation (SOFA) and their families: diplomacy (A-1), official duty (A-2), agreement (A3).
    A. Diplomacy/official business visa
    - Visa for non-profit activities and short-term stay (less than 90 days): temporary news coverage (C-1), short-term business (C-2) and short-term visitors (C-3).
    - Employment visa: short-term employment (C-4), professors (E-1), teaching foreign languages (E-2), research (E-3), special technology instruction (E-4), special occupations (E-5), arts and entertainment (E-6), other particular occupations (E-7),  industrial trainees employment (E-8), non-special employment (E-9), vessel crew (E-10), working holiday (H-1) and working visit (H-2). 
    - Others: culture/art (D-1), students (D-2), industrial trainees (D-3), general trainees (D-4), residence reporters (D-5), religious workers (D-6), intra-company transferee (D-7), treaty investors (D-8), treaty traders (D-9), visiting and joining families (F-1), residence (F-2), dependent families (F-3), overseas Korean residents (F-4), permanent residence (F-5) and others (G-1)
    ✾ For more information, call Immigration Contact Center (1345) or visit Hi Korea (http://www.hikorea.go.kr/).
  • Title
    What happens when a French national, a country exempt from re-entry permit, with a one-year simple D-8 visa left Korea before completing the alien registration?
  • Content

    A foreign national staying in Korea for more than 90 days has to go to the immigration office within 90 days of entry and complete the alien registration process. If a citizen from a country, with which Korea has a free re-entry permit agreement leave Korea without having completed the alien registration, the visa is not valid for multiple entry and thus the free re-entry permit is invalid.

  • Title
    I am a foreigner with treaty investor visa (D-8). What is the visa process for a new born child?
  • Content
    A foreigner who is born in Korea must receive the permission of stay within 90 days from the date of his or her birth. There will be a penalty if he or she does not apply for the qualification of stay for it is violation of the Immigration Control Act. 
    However, if the new born leaves Korea within 90 days from the date of his or her birth, the permission of stay is not required.  
    【Required documents】
    - Application form
    - Passport of a child
    (If the passport is under application process: Apply with the receipt.)
    - One copy of the front and back of foreigner registration card of one of the parents. 
    - Birth certificate of a child(※ Copy of his or her family register for Japan and Taiwan.)
    - One passport-sized photo
    - Fees: Qualification of stay (KRW 80,000)
  • Title
    When is the expiration date for a Canadian citizen with a B-2 visa and a sojourn period of 6 months, who has entered Korea on February 15, 2013?
  • Content
    The day of entry is not included in the sojourn period, so that the period of sojourn is counted from the following day until the expiration day. If the day of expiration is a national holiday, then the next day is the expiration day.
    So in this case, the expiration day would be August 15, 2013. But since it is a national Korean holiday (Liberation Day), the expiration day would be on August 16.
  • Title
    I am Chinese and a representative of a foreign-invested company. Can I invite 2 Chinese executives under the registration of the corporation (not investors) with treaty investor visa (D-8)?
  • Content

    If an foreign individual investor to establish a corporation in Korea and invite a foreigner by registering him or her as an executive of the corporation, he or she will not become a dispatched employee from the foreign-invested company or an individual investor. Rather, he or she will be regarded as a foreigner hired from Korea. Therefore, he or she should apply for other particular occupations (E-7).

  • Title
    I am Chinese and I came to Korea 2 years ago to visit my family and stayed here illegally. I have received permission of change of visa status to non-special employment (E-9) following the legalization measure of illegal immigrants. I won the lottery in 2013 and I wish to invest this money in Korea and start a business. Can I have the permission of change of visa status to treaty investor visa (D-8) without leaving the country?
  • Content

    A non-special employment visa (E-9) holder cannot change his or her visa to treaty investor visa (D-8). However, he or she can apply for certificate of visa issuance to issue treaty investor visa (D-8) from the immigration office under jurisdiction of the sojourn place.

  • Title
    What is a visa and who has the authority to issue a visa?
  • Content
    The word “visa” originates from “visus”, Latin for endorsement or confirmation. 
    A visa allows the legal entry into and sojourn in a foreign country under the conditions of the visa, which may vary according to the type of visa. Furthermore, it confirms the validity of the passport and its legal status through its issue by the foreign government. 
    A visa is perceived in some countries as a "confirmation of permission to enter the country", and in other countries as a "recommendation of the consulate to enter the country". The United States, Japan and Korea perceive the issue of a visa as a "recommendation of the consulate". 
    Accordingly, even if a foreigner who wishes to enter Korea and is in possession of a valid visa, he or she might get rejected by an official at the immigration if the person does not meet certain entry requirements -- for example, in case of prohibited entry, attempting illegal employment, or having no specific reason for entry, etc.
  • Title
    Is it possible to establish a traditional Thai spa in Korea when investing more than KRW100 million? Furthermore, is it possible to employ foreigners as foot massagers, skin care or spa specialists?
  • Content

    According to relevant regulations, a foreign investor in the skin or footcare and sports massage sector who wants to operate a massage center on his own or act as a massager is not allowed a certificate for recognition of visa issuance. Furthermore, employment of foot massagers, skincare and spa specialists are not permitted.

  • Title
    Who is eligible for treaty investor visa (D-8)?
  • Content
    A corporate investor who has established and runs a foreign-invested company with an investment over KRW 100 million or an employee dispatched as an expert from the overseas parent company to the foreign-invested company. (Except for those hired in Korea.) 
    Mandatory skilled manpower refers to executives or senior managers who have special skills and experiences for the management and operation of a foreign-invested company. 
    Therefore, workers who handle administrative affairs, technicians or service providers who can be substituted within the nation are not regarded as mandatory skilled manpower.
  • Title
    What are the penalties for inviting foreigners with false personal reference or for issuing visa with false information?
  • Content
    According to the regulation under Article 7.2 of the Immigration Control Act, the following actions are prohibited: 
    - Inviting or introducing foreigners with false information or personal reference. 
    - Appling for visa or certificate of visa issuance with false information. 
    ※ He or she will be punished by imprisonment for not more than three years or by a fine not exceeding KRW 20 million.


  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google
  • Twitter

Recommended Content

2018 On FDI in Korea Q&A