- Information Center
- Future Unicorn
About the Company
Patients with chronic diseases must control their diseases with the constant injection of drugs, and the situation of having to take medicine or shots day after day worsen their quality of life as well as the effectiveness of treatment as patients often become reluctant to receive treatment, which reduces medication adherence.
Developed to make taking medication easier and improve the effectiveness of treatment, Tionlab’s medicine that is based on a drug delivery system helps maintain the density of active drug substances in the body to a constant level with a single shot, thereby making lives easier for patients with chronic diseases, improving drug efficacy and reducing side effects.
About the Product
Based on the technology, Tionlab is developing a system for injecting Semaglutide for one month to treat diabetes and obesity, which will reduce the possibility of side effects by reducing rapid release by less than 5% compared to conventional drugs. Based on the results, the system’s effectiveness is being evaluated using animals with diabetes or obesity. Tionlab aims to complete the first phase of clinical trial by 2024 and to launch products by 2027 as the world’s first developer of Semaglutide Biobetter. It envisions to be a game changer that will transform the GLP-1 series diabetes/obesity treatment market currently worth USD 19.2 billion.
Competitive Edge and Business StrategyIntellectual property rights
- Application of ten patents at home and abroad/Registration of two patents in Korea
- Selected by the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy as a developer of an upgraded drug targeting the global market (KRW 1.8 billion for four years)
- Selected in the TIPS Project of the Ministry of SMEs and Startups (KRW 0.5 billion for two years)
- Selected in the MSS Network R&D Project of the Ministry of SMEs and Startups (KRW 0.6 billion for two years)
- Selected as a First Penguin Startup (by the Korea Credit Guarantee Fund)
- Currently developing a new drug with Korea’s major pharmaceutical company (LNP delivery system)
Secondly, Tionlab plans to upgrade the platform technology through the joint research of vaccines, carcinogens and drugs for ocular diseases that use the Quject®LNP technology. The effort will enable Tionlab to develop pipelines and expedite the product development for exporting the technologies to global pharmaceutical companies.
By licensing out its differentiated drug delivery technology to pharmaceutical companies at home and abroad or conducting joint studies, Tionlab plans to commercialize innovative products ultimately to grow as the world’s leading developer of new drugs based on drug delivery systems.