- Jeju Life
- Industry News
Jeju Special Self-Governing Province is committed to bolstering the competitiveness of its biotechnology industry and generating new value-added opportunities from its unique, clean resources, with the ultimate goal of securing global leadership in this field.
The bio-industry is a promising sector with rapid growth potential, offering a breakthrough to address global social issues concerning population, resources, and the environment. Jeju holds considerable potential in this industry due to its rich biodiversity and clean environment. Building upon these advantages, Jeju envisions itself as a "global mecca for eco-friendly bio industry." Governor Oh Younghun of the Jeju Special Self-Governing Province remarked, "The bio-industry will fuel Jeju's future growth by creating new value and market opportunities. With its pristine environment teeming with diverse species, Jeju is poised to take bold strides not only in advancing Korea's bio-industry but also in securing global leadership."
By 2030, the province has set ambitious goals, including expanding the Jeju bio-industry market to KRW 1.3 trillion, nurturing 20 bio companies with annual revenues exceeding KRW 30 billion, and developing five new natural drug and pharmaceutical materials.
Green biotechnology_ strengthening the value chain of industries utilizing clean resources
- Pursuing the development of materials derived from clean biological resources and establishing systems for producing and promoting related products, such as food and cosmetics, to broaden the bio market.
- Scaling up industries like functional foods, veterinary medicines, and customized cosmetics to meet social trends, such as the aging population and increasing pet ownership.
- Facilitating quantitative and qualitative growth by promoting collaborative models, such as joint product development and commercialization through technical exchanges both within and beyond the province.
Red biotechnology _ pioneering new industries in natural drug materials
- Discovering candidate materials based on natural products, including herbal medicinal plants, and developing natural drug materials and pharmaceutical products through partnerships with leading pharmaceutical companies
- Establishing an innovative growth hub by integrating downstream and upstream companies and sharing infrastructure while fostering collaborative research among industry, academia, research institutions, and government organizations.
- Laying the groundwork for new drug development, such as establishing a center for producing and researching sterile pigs for medical research, and using stem cell technology to produce a black pig model for Alzheimer's disease research and develop dementia treatment drugs.
Marine biotechnology: actively nurturing Jejudaum and J-Marine Bio Valley
- Establishing J-Marine Bio Valley, a cluster of companies and research institutions consisting of foundries industrializing marine microalgae and a marine bio-industry center.
- Fostering diversification in the marine industry, such as developing new materials utilizing volcanic seawater minerals, producing high-value products, and establishing the Jeju Marine Healing Center.
- Creating a cultivation base for native seaweed like Undariopsis peterseniana (brown algae) and engaging in research and development in functional foods, cosmetics, and pharmaceutical materials to unlock high-value product potential.