Driving in Korea

Driver’s license

International driving permit

As of January 1, 2002, a driver with an international driving permit issued by a Geneva Convention member country can drive in Korea. The period is a year from the date of entry.

Exchange of foreign driver's license

Exchange of foreign driver's license
Classification Description
Required documents
(D-8, F-3 holder)
D-8 visa holder

1. Foreign driver’s license

  • Where the effective period stated in a foreign driver’s license (original)
    expires, exchange is not allowed to a Korean driver’s license.

2. Certificate of entry and exit and passport (original; license issuance or renewal date shall be included.)

  • Certificate of entry and exit can also be issued by KOTRA ICC
    (Issuance fee: KRW 2,000)

    For license acquired in a third country, residency of 90 days or longer in that country shall be proven.

3. Alien registration card (original) or domicile registration card (original)

  • Short-term (90 days or less) residents cannot use the service but
    can take driver’s license test

4. Embassy confirmation of driver’s license, or APOSTILLE

  • Embassy confirmation of driver’s license shall be effective for one year from the issuance date and, if effective period on the confirmation is less than one year, such period shall apply.
  • APOSTILLE shall be effective for the period designated by issuance LOTTERY.
  • For the US, the UK, Russia, Finland, Uzbekistan, and Hong Kong,
    mbassy confirmation cannot be issued so only APOSTILLE can
    be submitted.

  • The language of embassy confirmation or APOSTILLE shall be limited to
    Korean or English.

5. Three (3) color photos (3cm × 4cm)

  • Passport-sized photo for ID card, taken in the past 6 months

6. Physical test sheet

  • KOTRA ICC does not have physical test facility; thus, please take a physical test at designated clinics nearby and then submit physical test sheet.
    (For designated clinics, see page 9)

7. Issuance fee: KRW 7,500

D-8 visa holder and his/her accom-

①~⑦ and certificate of alien registration (original) of D-8 visa holder

  • The term “accompanying family members” refers to D-8 visa holder’s
    spouse and unmarried children 18 years of age or above but below 19.

  • Certificate of alien registration can also be issued by KOTRA ICC
    (Issuance fee KRW 2,000)>


Physical test fee (as decided by clinics), driver’s license issuance fee (KRW 7,500)

  • Exchange issuance of foreign driver’s license: Ordinary driver’s license (Class 2) of Korea issued

  • Exceptions: Member countries of mutual recognition convention

  • Vicarious application is not allowed
  • Home country license shall be collected
  • Shall be returned at time of exit
    (The person concerned shall collect the license himself/herself within three years.)


Method of obtaining Korean driver’s license

The procedure by which a foreigner who has never had a driver’s license in his/her home country is issued a new driver’s license in Korea is the same as that for Koreans.

Procedure for obtaining license

이미지 확대보기


In the case of a traffic law violation or traffic accident, a certain score is imposed according to the degree of violation and extent of damages and, when the total score reaches a certain level, the driver’s license can be canceled or suspended. For penalties from violation of law and from traffic accidents, check KoROAD’s home page.

Go to KoROAD

Traffic accidents

It is advised that a foreign driver, in anticipation of any possible traffic accident situation, shall carry phone numbers of his/her Korean colleagues or attorney, car insurance company, and his/her embassy at all times. It is also important to carry a camera that can record the site of accident. Where an accident occurs, the driver shall immediately park the car on the edge of road near the site of accident. Call 119 (no prefix) to request ambulance vehicles. Report of the accident to the police shall be made within 3 hours in urban areas and 12 hours in other areas. When reporting to the police, the driver can visit a police station himself/herself, call the police, or have another person call the police (call 112 with no prefix). Also, he/she shall immediately notify the car insurance company of necessary information including time and place of accident, degree of damages, the circumstance of accident, evidence, and eyewitness. To avoid any unjustified liability or punishment because of damage to evidence, it is recommended that the driver shall consult the insurance company for advice.

Road Traffic AuthorityKim Min JiAuthority Investment Cooperation Officer