News & Event

• Home
  • News
  • News & Event
Mayor of Daejeon reiterates "wearing mask should not be mandatory"
Date
Views

According to Yonhap News,

Daejeon-si declared that it would lift mandatory mask-wearing for indoor space on January 2023 at the earliest, and Daejeon Mayor Lee Jang woo reiterated that wearing a mask indoors or not is a matter of citizen's autonomy.

Given a high level of citizens' consciousness, we should adopt autonomous prevention and control.

Mayor Lee also said, "I believe that a debate about lifting the indoor mask mandate has already begun on the governmental level," adding, "When it comes to people aged 60 or more, whose immune system may be vulnerable to COVID-19, we need to work out the guidelines for prevention and control thoroughly."

The city recently sent a document to the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasure Headquarters, stating its plan to invoke an executive order unless the central government does not lift the mandate any later than Dec. 15.

In line with such moves, other municipalities also voiced the termination of the indoor mask mandate.

While the health authorities showed a cautious and negative stance, highlighting a 'unilateral network of prevention and control,' the relevant debate could be moved ahead, coupled with the subdued winter COVID-19 wave.

Mayor Lee told Yonhap News, "When I went on business trips, I saw no one wearing a mask," adding, "we will closely consult with the health authorities on the matter." 

youngs@yna.co.kr

Source Text

Copyrights Yonhap News. All Rights Reserved.
Reprint or redistribution without permission is prohibited.

Source: Yonhap News (Dec. 6, 2022)

**This article was translated from Korean.